Friday, March 16, 2012

Shop Build Update: A Fine Box

After my little foray into masonry, today was day one of the carpentry portion of my shop build. My cousin Troy, who was the brains behind my house build 12 years ago, showed up around 8 this morning to get started on laying out some floor joist. He's a plumber by trade but one hell of a carpenter. Seven hours later, with just him and I, we had built what he deemed "A nice box". I was really pleased with getting this much done on day one. You'll probably notice from the pictures the absence of windows. There WILL be windows, I'm just having a hard time locating the kind I'm looking for at a reasonable price. We'll come back and cut and frame the rough openings for them when I find something suitable. I decided to put the front and back door on the same end of the shop to keep the "wasted" wall space in one area. A stairway/loft ladder to the second story will be on that left hand wall between the doors.

Tomorrow, Jen and I are off to DC and Ford's Theater to see 1776. Should be a good show, and Ford's is always a nice place to see a play. If you haven't been there, I highly recommend it. On the way there, I plan to stop in the DC suburbs at a place called Community Forklift in hope of procuring some windows in the style I'm looking for. Supposedly they have lots of old doors and windows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find what I want.

We'll be back at it Sunday morning, weather permitting. Second story floor joist and roof rafters will be on the agenda. I'll be sure to eat my Wheaties that morning. The floor joist are Amish milled 2x10's of yellow pine. VERY HEAVY. I went with rough cut for these because I am going to forgo a finished ceiling on the first floor and leave it open with the pine beams and tongue and groove pine of the second story floor serving as the ceiling of the first. I think that'll be a good look. The first floor is getting that same tongue and groove pine also, after the shop is under roof. I just put down the 3/4 T&G OSB as a sub floor. Here's a few pics.


4 comments:

Ryan said...

Jamie, this looks fantastic so far! I speak for all when I say I'm burning with envy. How are you going to heat this puppy in the wintertime?

Jamie Bacon said...

Thanks Ryan! I have visions of a pot belly stove eventually, but more immediately, I think I'm going to go with a ductless split system central air. From what I understand they are fairly efficient, provide heat AND cool, and only require about a 3" hole through your exterior wall to carry tubing from the inside unit to the outside compressor.

Shannon said...

Forget about the shop, how was 1776. I dedicated the entire second half of my senior recital in college to that show. One of my favorites!

Jamie Bacon said...

Hey Shannon. 1776 was amazing! Ford's did a fantastic job on the production. The actors were terrific. They seemed very passionate in their portrayal of their characters. The actor who played John Adams stood out, but really everyone did a fine job.

I'd seen the movie before, but it's so much better on stage. The script does such a great mixing light hearted comedy while showing the struggles and tribulations of the founding fathers. There were a couple moments where you couldn't help welling up with tears and emotion. Watching Ceasar Rodney's pain in dealing with cancer and while in no condition to travel, making the trip back to Philadelphia from his sick bed in Delaware to cast his states deciding vote for independence, hit me especially hard.

I would go see the show again in a heartbeat given the chance and I highly recommend you go if you can. There's really not a bad seat in the house and we got two balcony tickets for I believe under $70. Money well spent.