Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Workbench Complete!




Completed my Nicholson bench yesterday. Drilled 3/4" holes in the front apron and top for holdfast. This was done with a 10" swing brace and a 3/4" Jennings auger bit. Installed a 2" square planing stop on the left side of the bench top. Mortised the hole in the top by marking out the area, drilling four 1" holes, and then squaring up the hole with chisels and rasps. I've been very happy with the bench initially. Seems very stable. No racking or movement when planing. I'm guessing that the wide front apron adds a lot of stability. May add a bottom shelf eventually, I'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Jamie! You directed me to your blog (on the WN forum) to show me the workbench-building process, and I'm glad you did.

-Jacky ("totalgreenhorn")