Friday, November 23, 2012

Turning Saw - A LONG Time Coming






Way back in December of '09 or '10, I received a Gramercy turning saw kit from my mother as a Christmas gift. This was on my wish list and the kit included the handles, pins, and 3 blades. Well, never let it be said that I jump into things too quickly; I just got around to building the saw this past week. I made the frame of quarter-sawn beech and used the Gramercy patterns as a basis for my arms and cross stretcher, with a few modifications. I tried to get a little lambs tongue look where the twine goes across rather than just the open crook the plans show. I'm really pleased with the way it came out but I'll admit, I'm a little scared to tighten the frame as much as it should be tightened. I'm worried I took out too much material at the top. I guess it's one of those things where you don't know if it's too tight until it's too late and you hear the dreaded snap? I tried the saw out in a piece of 3/4 pine and it functioned well, but there was quite a bit of flex in the blade. After it's hung on the wall a while, I suppose I'll get a little more brave and try to get the blade tighter and get some of the flex out of it. I do have more quarter-sawn beech if the unspeakable happens.

It does seem to be a very nice kit from Gramercy and it's a fun project to build and customize to the look that you want. I strung mine with three loops of 3 lb. twisted cotton twine by the way.







It's new home.

9 comments:

Andy said...

It sure looks nice Jamie. I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on whether it will break but, if it did, wouldn't it have to split down the arm first? That doesn't seem too likely.

In any case, you may as well get it over with and find out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Marshal said...

I bet it really feels nice in your hand. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, enjoy your blog. I'm far from an expert but I do use bowsaws in my shop almost exclusively. I always thought cotton twine may be a bit stretchy so I usually use jute or hemp to string my saws. I don't know if that is preventing your saw from tensioning properly, just something to consider. Also, frame saws tend to creek and moan a bit when first strung and tensioned until they stretch out a bit in my experience. The top of your stretchers do seem a bit thin, yikes.

Take it easy,

Dan

Shannon said...

Looks great Jamie. Do you have the blade cutting on the pull or push stroke? Technically it will work either way but you will find less tension needed when it cuts on the pull stroke. Also, it is natural for there to be some flex in a longer blade but cutting technique will alleviate some of this. Mostly it comes down to the direction the blade is cutting. Always be cutting around curves and don't try to force it. Second keeping the teeth on the bottom helps by adding greater beam strength. In other words, you may need to reposition your stock in the vise or rotate the frame around so that your force is directed down and along the thrust instead of off to the side. Much easier to do than explain in writing.

Jamie Bacon said...

Thanks Andy and Marshal!!

Jamie Bacon said...

Thanks Dan. It's funny, no sooner did I read your comment, I was tensioning the saw and SNAP. Luckily it was the twine. Whew. I restrung it with 5 lb. twisted sisal and although this still may not be what I ultimately keep on there, it wasn't near as stretchy and did a much better job tensioning the blade. I think I'll keep my eyes open for some jute or hemp.

Jamie Bacon said...

Thanks for the tips Shannon. I watched your tutorial several times before I built this, along with the Woodwright's episode where Bill Anderson builds a turning saw. I installed the blade to cut on the pull stroke, like a coping saw. Seemed to make better sense in this case. The cotton twine did end up being too stretchy and I've got it strung with twisted sisal for now. Not near as much stretch with that but still may not be the final answer.

Sonny Crocker said...

Hey Jamie,
It looks pretty sweet makes me want to get out to the man cave and repair my old saw once the never ending list is completed (haha) . Missed you at the SCRIF Thanksgiving lunch. I will be taking off Thursday and Friday are you up for visitors?

Sonny

Jamie Bacon said...

Hey Sonny. Always up for a visit. Just let me know which day so I'm sure I'm here.