Thursday, February 23, 2012

My "Someday Shop" Update

Back in August of 2010, I wrote a blog post entitled " My Someday Shop". Well, the Financial Department (AKA, my lovely wife Jen) told me that if we made out ok on our tax returns this year, I should build my shop. Obviously I was on pins and needles as we sat getting our taxes done, watching the refund total switch back and forth from shop to no shop with every entry our tax lady typed in. Finally, the end result. Good enough to get the final go ahead. WOO HOO!!!
So, since then I've been drawing, designing, getting prices on material and asking everyone I know if they have any old windows lying around. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with a 15' x 20' shop and try to make it look as much as possible like the shoemaker's shop from my earlier post. I checked with one of the local Amish saw mills on lumber prices. Really no cheaper on the framing lumber than the home centers, but I was pleased with their price for 1 x pine T&G flooring. At $.65 a board foot, it's actually a little cheaper than 3/4 T&G ply and is WAY cooler than plywood. About a two week lead time, so I think I'm going to order that this Saturday.
I also stopped by our local Habitat for Humanity Restore spot and found a deal on two window sashes that I think I can use. They are actually top sashes out of a double hung window, but at $35 for the two of them, I can make them work. They're really nice Pella sashes, vinyl mullions on the outside and unfinished pine inside. Turned sideways, one of them will make a perfect large window over my work bench on the front wall, where the casement window is on the front of the shoemaker shop. I'll get plenty of natural light from this 52" wide x 37" tall beast. I'll probably put the other one on the back wall, maybe put a lathe under that one. Still time to think about all that. Gonna shoot for a start time of late March or so. Not sure I'll have enough money to totally complete the inside, but I'll at least get her weather tight and then I can finish the inside as money permits. I'll be posting my progress as I go. Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you can hardly wait to get this underway.
Mom

Bob Rozaieski said...

That's awesome Jamie! I'm extremely jealous! Wish I had the property for a stand alone shop. I may have to invite myself down to see it after you're done :).

Jamie Bacon said...

Bob, you're always welcome in my shop. I may kidnap you for a few hours of bench plane tuning and use though. :) This is one area that I am definitely lacking in.

Mark said...

Just discovered your blog. I too am working on a someday shop which is eerily similar to yours. Mine is still a couple of years, or a high-paying full-time job away.

Shannon said...

Very cool Jamie, you had me as Shoemaker's shop. While I'm not building a stand alone I am dressing up the garage shop and I have been seriously considering solid wood panel walls and like you say it is surprising how much you can cover the the cost of a quality sheet of plywood.

Jamie Bacon said...

Hi Mark. Glad you found your way here and hope you like the site. Should be lots of blog entries in the coming months between the desk and the shop. Check back in and see how things are going. :)

Jamie Bacon said...

Hey Shannon, good to hear from you. Going tomorrow to order my flooring from the mill and will probably check on some prices for lumber for the wall. I'll ask if they can rabbet the edges of some boards for a ship lapped wall. I think that'd be preferable for a wall application as opposed to tongue and groove. Hopefully they have a planer and can at least semi-smooth one surface so it'd be ready for paint. And of course a big advantage of boards over sheetrock is you can nail anywhere without having to be on a stud. Plus it's just a good look.

Anonymous said...

Jamie, congrats for getting the go-ahead on the project. I'm moving to a new space this summer and plan to put the same care into shop details as you're describing...I envy you. I'm not sure about your plan to orient the window sideways - it'll position the window panes horizontally and break with classical design (and the shoemaker's shop). But it'll be your shop so if it looks right to you it is right.

Mark Maleski

Jamie Bacon said...

Hey Mark. Good to hear you're getting a new space this summer. That's always exciting.
You are of course correct in saying that horizontal panes are not traditional with 18th century architecture or the shoemaker shop, but it will accomplish what I want functionally; lots of natural light at the bench. I may not have been clear in my post. I'm not creating a replica of the shoemaker shop, just using it as a model and trying to make my shop look 18 century-ISH. Don't get me wrong, if I had an unlimited budget, it'd be ON!!! :) I'd pull out ALL the stops. But as it is I'm just trying to do what I can with the funds I have. It's gonna be fun. :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see a guy and his wife making desicions together and you getting your own Shop. I think you may want to rethink the size if you don't have a site limitations. Most people build building that are divided by 4. Most materials are cheaper at 8',12', &16'. I think your Shop will look great at whatever size you build. Please put in way more Electricity than you will ever need. It's a lot cheaper up front than later. Good luck.